The origin of the Atkins diet
The Atkins diet (a low-carb diet) was created by cardiologist Dr. Robert Atkins, who was The health benefits of carbohydrate diets generated a strong interest and published “Atkins Diet Revolution” in 1972. Rumor has it that after that, he has been practicing the method in the book for many years and succeeded in losing excess weight. RumorThe Atkins diet has been controversial. It is rumored that Dr. Atkins eventually died of his own diet, but it is not what the rumors say Like that. In 2000, he suffered from primary cardiomyopathy, an incurable heart disease. There may be many reasons for this disease. Atkins was diagnosed with a viral disease. The doctor explained that there was no evidence that the disease was caused by diet, and his coronary artery report showed that it was unobstructed. On April 8, 2003, Atkins fell on thin, unmelted ice, hit his head against the ice, and caused brain hemorrhage. He had lost consciousness on the way to the hospital. After that, his body deteriorated rapidly and suffered extensive organ damage. During the two weeks in the hospital, his body obviously accumulated a large amount of fluid, that is, this accumulated fluid made his weight change from 195 pounds to 258 pounds. The cause of death stated in his death certificate was “epidural hematoma caused by a head bruise”, not a heart attack caused by long-term use of the Atkins diet as anecdotal.
Characteristics of the Atkins diet
The Atkins diet has a better short-term weight loss effect. Because the diet allows a large amount of meat to be eaten, and appropriate fat consumption, so Favored by more dieters. But there are also certain negative health effects. It is not the same as the ketogenic diet. The Atkins diet is a low-carb diet, while the ketogenic diet almost cuts off carbohydrate intake (only 5 grams).
- Eat a small amount of carbohydrates
- You can eat any meat, poultry, fish, shellfish, seafood, eggs
- A moderate amount of high quality Fat: vegetable oil, olive oil, nuts, etc.
The princip China Phenibut le of fat reduction
- Limit carbohydrate intake, reduce insulin (an anabolic hormone, affected by The effect of rising blood sugar concentration accelerates fat synthesis and the conversion of carbohydrates to fat) concentration increases, thereby limiting the synthesis of fat.
- Carbohydrate supply is reduced, which improves fat utilization. In the long-term adaptation, the body is more dependent on fat for energy.
- Changes in dietary patterns reduce the body’s glycogen reserves, resulting in a decrease in body water content and weight loss.
In January 2020, the US News World Report magazine, the authoritative ranking agency (US News World Report), announced the National Diet Law In the ranking list, the Atkins diet ranks second in the ranking of rapid weight loss. But it should be noted that in terms of healthy eating, heart health, and overall rankings, the Atkins diet ranks the bottom! Although the Atkins diet has obvious effects on short-term fat loss, it also has adverse effects on health.
· A study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association (Journal of the American Medical Association) in 2007 (Stanford University lasted 1 year) classified about 300 overweight or Obese women are divided into several categories and assigned to one of four diets: low carbohydrate (Atkins), low fat (Ornish), low fat/medium carbohydrate (LEARN), and roughly equal protein. Fat and carbohydrates (Zone). During the two-month diet, the average weight of Atkins dieters lost about 9.5 pounds, while those on the other three diets lost 5-6 pounds. In six months, the average weight of the Atkins group lost about 13 pounds; the other three groups averaged 4.5 to 7 pounds. In 12 months, the Atkins group lost what the researchers called a “moderate” 10 pounds; the average weight of other dieters was 3.5 to 6 pounds. Among them, the Atkins group had a larger drop in triglyceride and blood pressure compar Buy Phenibut Online ed with other groups. However, there are certain imperfections in the traditional Atkins diet, and after many subsequent adjustments, various versions have been formed. · In a study published in the British Medical Journal in 2006, Atkins dieters lost an average of 10 pounds in the first four weeks, and meal replacements (slimming fast food), People on calorie restriction (WW diet) and low-fat diet (Ornish) also lost 10 pounds. Conley’s “Eat Yourself Slim” weight loss method reduced 6 to 7 pounds. However, there was no significant difference in weight loss between the two groups in one month and the following month.
Negative health effects
· Improper operation can easily cause ketoacidosis. Fatty acids undergo β-oxidation in the liver to generate acetyl-CoA and produce a large amount of ketone bodies. Low-carbohydrate diet, lack of effective utilization of glucose, when ketone bodies are produced in large quantities and exceed the capacity of extrahepatic tissues, it will cause the concentration of ketone bodies in the blood to increase, which can lead to ketoacidosis in severe cases. · Studies have found that eating large amounts of red meat and/or processed meat diets may increase the risk of type 2 diabetes, colorectal cancer, coronary heart disease, breast cancer, esophageal cancer, liver cancer and lung cancer, and Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and high cholesterol levels. · Studies have found that women who regularly eat a high-protein, low-carbohydrate diet may increase the risk of heart disease and stroke by 28%. · The British medical journal “The Lancet” reported that a 40-year-old woman in New York passed the “Atkins diet” and lost 9 kilograms within one month, and later suffered from breathing difficulties and nausea. And vomiting is more than an emergency admission. After a doctor’s examination, she was found to have ketoacidosis.
Recommendations before adopting the Atkins diet
· Due to the potential of Atkins It is not recommended for p Buy Phenibut Online eople who do not have a relevant nutrition professional background to use the hidden health hazards. Improper operation can easily cause health problems. · The following only provides a simple introduction to the traditional Atkins 20 implementation method. For detailed implementation methods, it is recommended to refer to “Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution” and “Atkins: Eat Right, Not Less” published by Atkins.
- The traditional Atkins diet may have certain shortcomings and imperfections. Individual nutritionists can make improvements. You can refer to other authoritative readings such as: “The New Atkins For New You”.
How to implement the Atkins diet
· The first stage (recommended 2 weeks), guide the body to quickly enter a state of fat burning. Pure carbohydrate intake is limited to 20 grams per day, of which 12 to 15 grams come from vegetables with high fiber content. Any amount of all meat, poultry, fish, shellfish, seafood, chicken and eggs is allowed. And eat the right amount of high-quality fats, such as olive oil and vegetable oil. · In the second stage, maintain the state of reducing fat, increase carbohydrate intake, and increase the daily carbohydrate intake at a frequency of 5 grams per week until the target weight is 10 pounds (4.5kg). ). · In the third stage, maintain the amount of carbohydrates necessary to avoid ketosis without gaining weight. Increase 5-10g carbohydrates every week. · In the fourth stage, maintain eating habits and choose natural unprocessed foods as much as possible. If you gain weight, return to the previous stage.
Summary and suggestions
- Although it is controversial, it is undeniable that the Atkins diet is indeed effective for short-term fat loss, but there are also health negatives. risk.
- The Atkins diet is not easy to follow, it is difficult to operate, and costly, and it is not suitable for long-term use.
- Current general dietary changes are sufficient to meet the needs of fat loss. The main reason for most fat loss failures is that there are problems in the diet, but they have not discovered it. For example: high-carbohydrate yogurt, puffed high-fat crispy cereal, very low-calorie diet, fat-free diet, overtraining, etc.